Meet SEJ member Yereth Rosen! Yereth is a longtime reporter, resident and outdoors-lover of Alaska. She's covered all sorts of stories (from oil spills to sled-dog races) and beats (crime/public safety, local government, business, sports, politics), but over time Yereth came to specialize in environment, energy and climate coverage. She has been the sole Alaska reporter for Reuters since the 1990s, interrupted by a four-year period as the lead Arctic reporter for the Alaska Dispatch/Alaska Dispatch News. Yereth now does most of her reporting for Arctic Today. She was a 2018 Alicia Patterson Foundation fellow and a 2020 Western Journalism and Media Fellow, a position resulting in her recent series on the Bering Sea. Yereth is also a member of the National Association of Science Writers and the Alaska Press Club. She was recently awarded a 2021 national fellowship from the USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism, for a series of stories about COVID-prompted water and sanitation improvements in rural Alaska, where problems caused by climate change have been exacerbated by the current crisis.
Yereth has been an SEJ member since 2003, and said, "SEJ has done a lot for me! Some routine features that I find very helpful are the EJToday headline roundups and the SEJournal TipSheets. I enter the SEJ Awards every year and have won a couple of honorable mentions for beat reporting. Most significantly, I won an SEJ Fund for Environmental Journalism grant in 2020, and used it to complete a series of stories on climate change-related disease risks in Alaska." Join Yereth and the rest of SEJ's incredible network of environmental journalists, educators and students here.
Check out Yereth's work for Arctic Today:
- "Ticks — and Tick-Borne Risks — Are Creeping North to the Arctic As the Climate Warms," Apr 14, 2021.
- "The Coming Diseases: As the Climate Warms, Alaska Faces New Threats From Zoonotic Illnesses," Apr 5, 2021.
- "Thaw-Triggered Landslides Are a Growing Hazard in the Warming North," Mar 30, 2021.
- "Indigenous Groups Are Slowly Gaining More Say in the Management of a Swiftly Changing Northern Bering Sea," Feb 26, 2021.
- "A Changing Bering Sea Is Influencing Weather Far to the South, Scientists Say," Feb 19, 2021.
- "In the Aleutians, Climate Change and Ocean Acidification Impacts Add to Legacies of Past Exploitation," Feb 12, 2021.
- "For Fortune Hunters Dredging Alaska's Bering Sea Floor for Gold, Old Mining Traditions Blend With New Realities," Feb 4, 2021.
- "How the Loss of Bering Sea Ice Is Triggering Cascading Effects for the Ecosystem — and The People and Wildlife That Depend on It," Jan 27, 2021.
- "With Visiting Scientists Sidelined by Coronavirus Pandemic, Bering Sea Residents Take On More Research Duties," Jan 25, 2021.
- "Alaska's Experience Shows Benefits — And Challenges — of Wind Energy in the Arctic," Sep 16, 2020.
Members: we want to put the #SEJSpotlight on you! Sign up here to participate.
Not yet a member? Join us today!