Find fellowships, conferences, grants and awards deadlines, workshops and networking opportunities, crowd-sourced leads to job banks, reporting toolkits, hundreds of MOOCs and more. GO >>
DEADLINE: Fund for Investigative Journalism (FIJ) Grants
The Fund for Investigative Journalism (FIJ) invites applications three or four times per year for stories that break new ground and expose wrongdoing – such as corruption, malfeasance, or misuse of power – in the public and private sectors. The Fund accepts applications for projects on domestic and international issues.
Proposals written for ethnic media and submitted by journalists of color are encouraged. Grants of up to $10,000 cover out-of-pocket expenses such as travel, document collection, and equipment rental. The Fund also considers requests for small stipends.
View a 30-minute video about how to apply for grants successfully, featuring a Board member who votes on grants and a journalist who applied for a grant successfully.
NOTE: There are two important new features:
- The maximum grant has been raised to $10,000
- Successful grantees may be eligible for a Scripps Howard Foundation mentorship.
2021 deadlines: Feb 8, May 3; more TBA
February 11, 2021 announcement – To help investigative journalists increase the impact of their reporting, the Fund for Investigative Journalism announced today that it is launching two new grantmaking initiatives: expedited grants for urgent stories and follow-up grants for timely stories after initial investigations. Both new types of grants are available starting today.
With this expansion, grants for journalists and media outlets are available in three ways:
- Regular grants, up to $10,000, for investigative stories on any topic. Applications are reviewed quarterly. The next deadline is May 3, and applicants will receive a grant decision in mid-June.
- Expedited grants for investigative stories on any topic that are extremely urgent – those where the topic needs critically urgent attention from the public and waiting for the regular grant cycle would either harm the public if the story is not told sooner or render the story moot if it had to wait. Requests for expedited review are processed as they are received and applicants who receive expedited review will receive a grant decision within about two weeks.
- Expedited follow-up grants, up to $2,500, for time-sensitive follow-ups to initial investigations that were produced with grants from the Fund. These grants are available to current grantees. They are reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants will receive a grant decision within about two weeks.